Sunday, July 18, 2021

What I Am - an artist who suffers from Schizoaffective Disorder

I'm a 33-year-old adult child, who lives at home with his parents. I'm financially dependent on them. They're getting older and when they no longer take care of me I'm in store for doom.

Thankfully, I plan to become super-rich and famous very soon as an artist, actor, and comedian.

My doctors tell me a "rags to riches" instantaneous transformation from a viral social media post, starting a chain reaction, everything goes viral, I become as famous as The Beatles... is an unrealistic pipe dream, live in the real world.

There's no undercover celebrity secret admirer, major motion picture company, or soulmate woman that's waiting until I get well before we make an epic movie.

I suffer from severe mental health challenges. My diagnosis is Schizoaffective Disorder. It's been debilitating, has affected my entire life.

I became very sick in my college years. Though, I eventually graduated with a BS in business, minor in Media Arts, specializing in marketing.

I've never worked full time and haven't worked any job since 2011.

I'm more proud of my social media posts than my college achievements.

I was severely bullied in middle and high school. This trauma affected my social development. You can make the argument it even caused my mental illness. Though, there are other factors as well.

Due to lack of socialization in my teenage years, 20s, and beginning of 30s... I began to live in a fantasy daydream world. A delusional land to comfort from extreme sadness. But a daydream world won't protect me from reality and the clock keeps ticking.

I attend the Fountain House in New York City which is a psychosocial clubhouse for the mentally ill. I've met some of the best friends of my life there, have made socialization progress, and I'm beginning to leave my daydream world.

Socialization is more effective than any psychiatric medication because it gives me self-esteem in the real world and I no longer need the daydreams to comfort my sadness and absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment