Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Fountain House Gallery, Made Money, W-9 Form

I sold artwork at the Fountain House Gallery for the Small Works show.  

1) “Trapped” (2021), sold for $100

2) “The Yorkie” (2021), sold for $60

3) “Satan” (2020), sold for $100

4) “Light” (2021), sold for $75

5) “Fear” (2021), sold for $100

6) “Carrot Man” (2020), sold for $45

It totals: $480

But the gallery takes out a percentage.

They sold out almost immediately - so I was going to sell TWO MORE drawings for $100 each.


Fountain House wrote this in the community agenda: 

"Sold a work? Have you filled out a W-9? All artists who have sold works must fill out a W-9 in order to be paid. If you’ve done this in the past, no need to fill it out again."

At first, I was worried about filing taxes because I've never worked full time, haven't worked part-time since 2010, and selling this artwork is like employment.

I asked my mom if I should fill out the w-9, she said:

"Say.  This art is a hobby if you file a w9.  I will loose my Medicaid .....tell her if thats the case you ll give money back its a hobby not a job.  If she sends in w9.  They will stop benefits.  You are not a business"

...But then I'd lose the 480 dollars I made selling artwork. That's like throwing half my monthly disability money in the trash. Plus I've been working very hard on it for YEARS. 

My mom said: "Andrew....FH did not explain this clearly.  Anyone on medicaid, which u are can NOT work or be in business or risk loosing prescription coverage. Medicaid seconday insurance,  and snap.......people only on medicare(only) can make 1310.00 a month without loosing medicare benefit or medicare insurance those people must NOT have medic as id too.   There are ways to apply around it but paperwork and discussion medicaid councilor needs to happen to be sure we follow rules...we ll figure out way to get you paid ok...."


My friend who is on Medicaid said, "I don't see why you can't earn any money w your benefits when everyone else can. Your payout will be under $360. That's not a lot."

No comments:

Post a Comment