Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Emails, Dr. Garrett, December 2021, I'm So Sorry, Describing Artwork

I'm So Sorry (12 22 2021)



Dr. Garrett's Email:

Dec 22, 2021, 5:17 PM

Andrew


Who are the characters in the "I am so sorry" panel?  I can guess but want to know who is expressing an apology for what?


Dr G


My Email:

Dec 22, 2021, 6:40 PM

Dr. Natural asked me: "Who are the characters in the "I am so sorry" panel?  I can guess but want to know who is expressing an apology for what?"


At first, I wasn't going to answer him and was going to let the artwork speak for itself... but what the hell? I'll leave no room for interpretation and TELL YOU WHAT IT MEANS.


____


The person in the bottom right corner who feels "guilty" is meant to be a woman. She's sorry for hurting a man. The characters in the panel were in a relationship at one time. Boyfriend/girlfriend.


The man was a man-child loser who was going nowhere with his life, but she cared for him. She left him. Then he proceeded to become solitary, isolated, pour his life down the drain for years after she left him. 


The man replies he forgives her in small, plain text. Meaning, her betrayal really hurt him, he's damaged, may never recover, but he has to forgive her for both of them to move on with their lives.


____


What I was really thinking of, though, was a professional wrestler who was playing a buffoonish character. The company he worked for is responsible for killing him through gross negligence. It was such a disturbing story. I was disturbed and I don't know anybody involved personally. 


I know if I were in charge, I'd feel guilty and wouldn't be able to forgive myself.


____


Although it could also be sadistic bullies from high school, who took pleasure in harming somebody... Then years later they see the kid they bullied really damaged and they feel bad... Assuming they're not sociopaths and are capable of regretting what they've done.


____


Or it could be somebody who had a friend who was becoming unpopular in school. This friend was a bully to him by betraying him, no longer wanting to associate with him, he wanted to fit in and be cool in high school. 


The friend he abandoned became mentally ill and wasted his life.



____


My life couldn't have turned out much worse, and this artwork is certainly not about my parents feeling empathy about how my life turned out because they have none and view me as a burden.



Dr. Garrett's Email:

Dec 22, 2021, 7:05 PM


Andrew


Your artwork did speak for itself.  I thought it was a reflection of the breakup with Kelly but wanted to confirm that.   Obviously, I didn't know about the wrestling story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment