Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Emails, Dr. Garrett, January 2024, Real Life

Dr. Garrett's Email:

Jan 23, 2024, 5:08 PM

Andrew


To move forward in your life you must be prepared to bear a certain degree of sadness to get through to the other side where real life awaits you.  I hear enough wish to move outside your daydream world in this post to, if you wish, re-engage in psychotherapy. I cannot meet this week, but could resume next week.


Dr G 


My Email:

Jan 23, 2024, 5:33 PM

I know I cry about the accident, cry about how I miss my ex-girlfriend, cry about how I spent a lot of time on social media in solitude, and rarely talk about all the progress I'm making...


Actually, I've been making a lot of progress in the real world. 


I did NAMI on Long Island last night. I got a few people's phone numbers. We made plans to get together. They were all male.


I have a buddy from New York City who moved to Long Island who I see about once a week. We've been getting together for months now. He's a cool guy who I like hanging out with a lot. We have a lot of fun together.


I do the art class twice a week. I have friends and acquaintances in the class.


I usually do the open mic night on Friday evenings where I'm continuing to practice my comedy. I have friends and acquaintances from Open Mic too.


Obviously, I would like financial independence and a girlfriend.


I'm seeing a woman for the second time this Sunday. I'm not sure if it's a date or not. But she's a friend and we're getting lunch.


So we won't do psychotherapy this week. We'll resume next week. However, it's not as doom and gloom as you may think.



Dr. Garrett's Email:

Jan 23, 2024, 7:29 PM

This is great good news that you are socially engaged in the way you are.


My Email:

Jan 23, 2024, 7:34 PM

As I've said, I've made progress but often talk about all the negatives in my life. Maybe I should try talking about the progress I've made recently rather than cry about the bad. Because a lot of progress has been made. I'm still frustrated by the lack of intimacy and independence. But if I keep trying it'll happen sooner or later. And I have been trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment