Saturday, April 1, 2023

Dr. Garrett E-Mails, March 2019, CBT Recovery, Sensational

CBT Recovery
My Email:
Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 8:47 AM 
I made a psychiatrist-patient SNL-like comedy screenplay, where the psychiatrist prescribes green beans instead of medication. I didn't mean to imply you can't have effective CBT recovery. In fact, I'd like to make progress and come down on my meds someday. I just found it funny. Dr. Garrett's Reply:

Dr. Garrett Reply:
Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 9:40 AM 
Andrew
Don't worry that I will take offense at your comedy.  You have a good sense of humor.   My concern is only that you view comedy as a comment on reality, rather than a substitute for reality.  For example, assuming that Taylor Swift and Disney are not coming to rescue you (reality) you can make a comedic comment on the belief that rescue is just around the corner.
Dr G

Sensational
My Email:
Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 9:31 AM

Yes, I'm sick right now. But I'm also exaggerating the hell out of my condition. In many ways, I'm playing a character. I'm doing it to get attention, and ultimately become rich and famous.


Lady Gaga did the same thing. Acted sensational to become successful. Then toned it down.

My Email:
Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 10:04 AM

Like Lady Gaga... I want to be swept away by The Fame, and I want to take my Mom, Dad, and Step Dad with me (almost as a punishment). I think in the long run, they'll thank me when they make the movie. But it will be chaos for a while. Lol.

P p p poker face, p p p poker face.


Dr. Garrett's Reply:
Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 11:36 AM

Andrew

I understand that you prefer to daydream that a dramatic viral video will hand you fame so you can avoid the very hard work of overcoming your social anxiety, but unfortunately, this illusory point of view does not advance your cause in the real world, and, as in the recent hurt your mother experienced over your secret videotaping of her, it pains people who love and support you.  I expect to have a family meeting next week, and the week after, to review your screen play with you (an effort grounded in the real world rather than magical discovery).

Dr G

No comments:

Post a Comment